Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Where and What is Christmas?

When I was growing up we were clear about the meaning of Christmas. It was the birth of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the world. It was depicted with Shepherds, Angels, Wisemen, ( usually three) a baby in a manger with Joseph and Mary. Santa Claus, the Snowman and the Christmas tree were never meant to take away its original meaning. It was part of a celebration commemorating the greatest event in history, much like a cake which has nothing to do with a birthday commemorates the passing of years. Oh those years of blissful innocence.

Growing up and being saved by the Lord I found myself loving this sacred commemoration more and more. However it didn't take too long before I saw this sacred feast reduced to a cheap commercial sales pitch. Malls would get ready to deck it's halls with boughs of Folly(switch intended). Sometimes its decorations would even appear sacrilegious. Many years ago I walked up to the manager of an establisment and demanded he take down an offensive sign which pictured a Santa Rina on a toilet bowl with the slogan "O s*** its Christmas". After a few more Christians showed their disgust at the sign, it was removed but even then quite late in the season. This sort of practice has grown more and more through the years with even more blatant disregard for what Christmas represents.

This in turn has given rise to many Christians not wanting any part of the festive(worldly) side of Christmas because of its aggressive attempt to crowd Christ out of Christmas. In some countries you are not allowed to sing carols that depict the birth of Christ on television or radio. Only songs about Reeindeer, Snowmen, Santa etc. are allowed. Is it any surprise why these other additions to Christmas are regarded as offensive or even demonic?

For me, I still stick to the same sort of celebration in my home. There is a Christmas tree, manger scene, snowman, holly etc. When I put up these decorations they remind me once again of the birth of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and how He was born in the midst of lowliness. They don't shift my focus. But even with one's focus strong on the originally meaning of Christmas, is there a need to aggresively display that meaning? Definitely!

Just this afternoon I was walking through the mall to try and do some gift shopping for Christmas. As is my regular practice, I try to find a new Christmas carol CD for the current year. When I browsed through the shops, I found to my horror that there were not many CDs that had songs depicting the birth of Christ. Most of them were commercial, pop, romantic, festive etc. To top it off, the mall was decorated with winter characters, Santas, evergreens, elves, nutcrackers etc. Jesus is just not good business, especially on His birthday. How do we have a birthday party and exclude the birthday boy?

This year let us determine, that no matter how we celebrate Christmas, with or without Christmas trees, Snowmen, Santas etc. it will never ever be without Jesus Christ. I think its time again we stopped focusing on the events within our churches and started focusing on bringing Christmas to the masses. Organize carolling groups again and bring them to your neighbourhoods. Prepare Cantatas and bring them to the malls and hotels. Let Christmas happen where they need it most. Organize Christmas parties, hampers and gifts for the needy. We need to let the Word become Flesh again and He has to dwell among men.

Song

Christmas isn't Christmas till it happens in your heart
Somewhere deep inside you is where Christmas really starts
So give your heart to Jesus, you'll discover when you do
That its Christmas, really Christmas for you.

Merry Christmas everyone

No comments: