Friday, October 3, 2008

Trumpets in Jazz

The trumpet remains for me the best instrument in the world. Couple it together with the best genre in music, jazz, and you have yourself a winner. I have to say that I have been blessed in my life to pick up this wonderful instrument. I dare say that there is no other instrument that is so satisfying to play or even listen to. Jazz trumpets have always been my favourite. My childhood friend introduced me to a recording featuring Freddie Hubbard and Stanley Turrentine in concert. When I heard Hubbard play Gibraltar, I was shocked thinking, "I didn't know anyone could play the trumpet like that." It didn't take me long to scan the record market to discover new trumpeters and horn sections. My first exposure to a good horn section was Chicago X. I heard the horns on this album and was hooked. Later I was introduced to Tower of Power. I have been hooked on the brass styles of these two bands for as long as I can remember. When I was in Porland Oregon, Tower of Power had a live show at the zoo. Needless to say I went but only to find out that it was packed and they were not letting anyone in. Chicago used to visit Salem but on my student budget, I couldn't afford to go. DRAT !!!. However, in 1999 I had the priviledge of watching one of my jazz trumpet favourites, Chuck Mangione in Portland's Crystal Ballroom. When my friend and fellow trumpet player Ramli introduced me to Chuck Mangione in the 70s, I went out and bought a flugelhorn. So to watch him live was a treat for me. What was great was that I managed to get a picture with him, and also his autograph on my CDs.

This concert was great as it featured his original band as well. James Bradley Jr. on drums, Grant Geisman on guitar, Charles Meeks on bass and Gary Niewood on woodwinds(instead of Chris Vadalla). That's me and the 'Hat' in the picture. What can I say? It Feels so Good.

I followed Chuck's career quite closely for many years listening to many of his recordings. I have to say that his live album at Hollywood Bowl, "An Evening of Magic" is one of the best instrumental live albums I have ever heard. Lately I have not heard much of his music. I do hope and pray that God will give him inspiration again to compose as he did before. In my relentless search for new trumpet players, I stumbled upon one trumpeter whose sound and technique I have come to love. He is none other than Eddie Henderson. I first heard him on the Lee Morgan tribute album. I then went out and bought two of his other CDs, Inspiration and Dark Shadows. Eddie Henderson has one of the smoothest tones. He exhibits this when he plays as a sideman on Herbie Hancock's "Live at Jazz Central" concert. When the Mingus bigband came to Kuala Lumpur, I was pleasently surprised to see him in the trumpet section.
Thats me and Doc Henderson after the concert at the Malaysian Philharmonic. He obliged me with a picture and also his autograph on my CDs. I thank God that I have had the opportunity of seeing these men play live. I do regret that I never had a chance to see Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis or Chet Baker in concert.

For those of you aspiring jazz trumpet players, my advise to you is to apply yourself daily to good practice of your instrument and also to listen to a lot of trumpet music played by the greats. If Wynton Marsalis or Eddie Henderson or other great trumpet players visit your town, pay the cost and go watch them. It builds your interest and motivates you to excel.


If I could list three great trumpet Cds I think you should listen to, they would be,


Dizzy Gillespie
Compact Jazz





Chet Baker
in Milan




Dream Sessions
The All Stars play
Miles Davis

Listen and learn. "He who walks with wise men will be wise................" Proverbs 13:20 GR.














1 comment:

AG said...

You make me want to pick up the trumpet too:)That picture of the trumpets look familiar....