Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Hope That Does Not Disappoint

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference"



That famous old prayer echoes what some of us crave for each day. In the movie "Luther", the great reformer is pictured in a scene crying out to God. When his priest and mentor asks him what he wants, he replies, "I want a God of mercy". The priest gives him a crucifix and says, "look to Christ". God is a God of mercy but sometimes life itself and religiosity crowd out that concept from our minds.



Sometimes things don't turn out the way we would hope they will. Sometimes circumstances leave us frustrated. Sometimes people go exactly in the opposite direction of our advice and end up in disaster. However, we must trust God that His eyes never miss anything (2 Chronicles 16:9) and His purposes will always be fulfilled, His way and for His Glory. We are stewards of Christ's will and purpose. In the end, His will is to bless His people (Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end) and if we allow the Lord to work His will in us, we will experience the blessing like Joseph. (Genesis 37-41) He is the Hope that will not disappoint.

"Lord teach me to see your purpose in all things that my heart grow not weary in serving You. Grant me the grace to go on even when I don't see. Help me understand what you are bringing me through and why that I may not hinder Your work of cleansing in my life"

No comments: